Common knowledge in Java

A few notes, observations that I would like to document about Java. This may be common,trivial knowledge, but I just want it to be in one place.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Gripe about the parameter attribute in Struts action config

My gripe about this generic attribute called 'parameter' in the struts action config.
So I have something like:
<action path="/logonProcess"
type="naive.actions.LogonAction"
name="logonForm"
parameter="/pages/Logon.jsp"
validate="true"

Now someone pray tell me what this 'parameter' is supposed to do.
I looked up on the Apache site and it says:
"action general purpose configuration parameter".
Alright, but what is that supposed to mean. Well it means different things to different action type classes, if it is a ForwardAction it can be the url you want the action to be forwarded to. For DispatchAction it is the key to the different method values. Someone ought to document this, instead of making you run in circles, dammit. But that is what they say about struts, very little documentation. What do I know, anyway.